Thursday, March 24, 2011

Acting on impulse

Okay, so, I know plenty of people have acted on impulse before. In fact, everyone has. Done something without really thinking about it.

The internet makes acting on impulse even more dangerous, because we can do post things on the internet for everyone to read. Writing something such as a journal entry is much better, because you have the option to share it if you want. And, if it is offensive, nobody has to know about it. On the internet, your rant is up for everyone to see, and the second it is made, it's public.

In my previous post, I wrote about a girl who acted on impulse because she heard Asian people talking in the lbrary and made a video to express her feelings. Now, I don't agree with what she did, and I believe that she really should have thought before posting that online. However, the important part is that she apologized for it. Yes, I was offended by it, because I technically fall under the category of Asian. But, I don't believe that it's right to insult her personally. And a lot of comments under the video on youtube have been doing just that. Just forgive and forget is what I say.

So, my advice for if you need to rant is this. First of all, don't go to the internet when you need to rant. Start a journal, and write to that journal when you need to rant. And, take time to calm down about it and read over it again. If you feel like that writing should be shared, and it's not going to offend people, then put it on the internet. Also, if you have to apologize in advance about something you are saying on the internet, don't post it.

So, what are your tips for when you need to rant? And, what are good ways to control impulses?

No comments:

Post a Comment