Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Helping Out Means...

So, here's something that's been eating away at me recently. I don't finish school in time to go on a mission trip to Denver with my youth group. I always felt like this was the perfect way to help out and learn so much about the world as well. And I was devastated when I learned I couldn't go.

But, then I thought about it, and realized that I don't need to travel to Denver to do good work. Sure, I'll miss all the fun and laughs, but that feeling of knowing that I'm doing good work for someone is still there, no matter where I'm doing the work.

That being said, doing work on your own ommunity is just as good as doing work anywhere else. No matter where you are, there is always someone in need very close to you. Whether that person needs a friend to comfort them through a difficult time, or whether they need food to last them for the next week, there is always something that you can do to make them feel more comfortable. I know that one thing I'm doing to help out around my community is hospice with my school. That is where we make cards and visit patients with terimal illnesses.

There's other things you can do. Such as work at foodbanks, or even organize a group to go and clean a park or neighborhood, you definitely have options.

Community service starts in your community, and you don't have to stray far to be able to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment